Saturday, May 14, 2005

I'm Dumb and I Vote

According to this hackles-raising article in the Twin Cities' City Pages, certain burghers in Minnetonka, apparently upset at living in a suburb, not an exurb, are denouncing their high school's new international baccalaureate program as U.N.-funded, "anti-Christian," and (redundantly) anti-American.

One troglodytic Mtkan gets two choice quotes. First, he asks, "Our education system is the envy of the world... Why would we want to subordinate that to some organization connected with the United Nations?" One might ask who exactly envies our high schools, which consistently rank outside the upper tier of industrialized nations, but never mind - the real issue emerges with his statement that "my fear is that my kids are going to be taught America isn't better than any other country in the world."

Oh. My. God. I feel like cutting my frontal lobe out and spelling "cui bono" in brain splatter. Better how? Better for whom? Better at what? Perish those questions.

I just hope that when the secret police come, they knock loudly enough to wake me.