Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Dan Band!

Last night my husband, my brother, his girlfriend and I all went to see The Dan Band at the Fineline in downtown Minneapolis. If you haven't heard of them, they played the wedding band in the movie Old School, and instantly became famous for their foul-mouthed rendition of Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart." ("And I need you more to night/I fuckin' need you more than evah!") They've had a special running on Bravo for the last couple of months, which you should definitely catch if you get a chance. They are fucking hilarious. I can't explain why, really, except for the obvious humor of seeing a vaguely shlubby guy singing pop-diva hits with mad intensity. But they also have great audience rapport and killer patter. And their choreography includes both hula-hoops AND a teddy bear finger puppet. The club last night was hot and humid; we were squeezed like sardines on the mainstage floor, and the opening band was beyond awful, but it was still one of the most fun nights out I've ever had. Dan Band, I fuckin' need you more than evah.