Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Hump-day Top 5 List

So I have this habit of singing along to the radio while I'm in the car. It's one of my favorite things to do while driving: crank up the tunes and sing at the top of my lungs. My family is big into music and singing, so it's not too surprising I've developed that habit; my husband's family, however ... not so much. So my vehicular sing-alongs are the subject of much derision, usually taking the form of "thanks, honey - I really love hearing this song in stereo + 1" or "could you turn it up a little? I'd like to hear the actual artist." But I soldier on, sometimes even adding gestures or playing air instruments to jazz up the performance. And I have to say, my favorite kind of song to sing in the car are power ballads. There's nothing more satisfying than belting out a little Journey coming home from the bar. And I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. So what I wanna know is: What are your Top 5 Power Ballads? Some ground rules: this is about the hair, people. No grunge bands need apply. And you can't have a power ballad if you don't have any power, so leave the REO Speedwagon at home. That being said, here's my list:

1. Wanted (Dead or Alive) - Bon Jovi.
Power Lyrics: I walk these streets/A loaded six-string on my back/I'm playing for keeps/'cause I might not make it back

2. Dream On - Aerosmith.
Power Lyrics: Sing with me, sing for the years/Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears

3. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue.
Power Lyrics: I’m on my way/Just set me free/Home sweet home

4. Faithfully - Journey.
Power Lyrics: And being apart ain’t easy/On this love affair/Two strangers learn to fall in love again

5. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler.
Power Lyrics: There's nothing I can do/I'm always in the dark/I'm living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Bonus Ur-Power Ballad: Stairway to Heaven, the grandaddy of all power ballads.

What's on your list?