Thursday, September 22, 2005

Roberts voting commences

If you want the lowdown on who's voting what, the NYT has the scoop. Favorite quote from the article:

"I know this won't be popular with many of my constituents," Mr. Leahy said in an interview, after praising Judge Roberts as a "man of integrity" in a speech on the Senate floor. "But I really didn't come here to win a popularity contest."

Huh. And here *I* thought the US was a representative democracy, which would mean that Mr. Leahy is in fact beholden to his constituents. Guess I was wrong, though. Good to have that cleared up before I emigrate - I wouldn't want to give the wrong information to the Swedes I meet in my future homeland.

UPDATE: Well, there it is, then. 13-5 in favor of sending the vote to the Senate. Feinstein, Kennedy, Biden, Schumer, and Durbin - thanks for doing the right thing. Leahy, Kohl, and Feingold, you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.