Friday, October 07, 2005

Friday Poetry Blogging

No particular reason for posting this poem this week; I just am blown away by the power of its imagery, and how it reveals Circe's essential viciousness. This is one of the things I like most about poetry - how it can distill and reveal aspects of well worn tropes that make them brand new again. Anyway, I hope you like it.

Circe's Grief
by Louise Glück

In the end, I made myself
Known to your wife as
A god would, in her own house, in
Ithaca, a voice
Without a body: she
Paused in her weaving, her head turning
First to the right, then left
Though it was hopeless of course
To trace that sound to any
Objective source: I doubt
She will return to her loom
With what she knows now. When
You see her again, tell her
This is how a god says goodbye:
If I am in her head forever
I am in your life forever.