Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Hump Day Top 5 List

Man, I keep misplacing my Wednesdays lately. Almost forgot the Top 5 list! OK, we're still in the first week of the year, and awards season has already started, so: let's hear your top 5 movies released in 2005. For all the bitching about the demise of Hollywood, there were some great movies released this year. What were your faves? Here are mine (note: this list only contains movies I've actually seen, which is sadly few for an erstwhile movie slut. There are some others out there that probably would be on this list if I'd seen them):

1. King Kong. I hated watching this movie, because I cannot STAND seeing an animal betrayed by humans, but even with that it was an amazing achievement. Peter Jackson is still da man.

2. 40 Year-Old Virgin. Goddamn, I love me some Steve Carell. He made the movie surprisingly sweet and touching, in addition to being crass and awesomely gross.

3. Batman Begins. Finally, a really compelling superhero movie.

4. Wallace & Gromit: the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I'm a huge W&G fan, so I was predisposed to like this movie, but really: how can you not love a film where the hero turns into a huge, carrot-ravening, wall-busting rabbit?

5. A tie between Wedding Crashers and Sin City. Both great popcorn movies, for entirely different reasons.

What's on your list?