Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Rant Succumbs to Olympic Programming

I love the Winter Games, perhaps not as much as our own flying Finn, Christopher, but I very much enjoy Olympic programming. I can do with out the jingoistic medal counts and the forced human interest dramas. However, I was awed by the story of Yao Bin, the head coach of the Chinese Figure Skating Team. The video can be found on the NBC Olympic Page (linked in the title of this post). His determination and commitment seem to be on par with Andy Dufresne (Shawshank Redemption) or Obi-Wan.

Yesterday in Torino, Yao Bin’s teams took silver and bronze. So you see, I’m promoting both medal counts and human interest dramas. Yes, I realize the inherent contradictions that make up my late-modern existence.

I expect the Olympics will again take the rant-winds out of my cynical sails next week.