Thursday, March 16, 2006

Harper's March 2006

Image hosting by Photobucket

Hey y'all.

I just got back from Nashville. I was there for a conference for public sector users of enterprise software. I know, you're jealous. Think about the worst experience you had at your registrar's office or bursar's office or city DOT office. Now throw in some software sales snakes -- all of those people were at this conference. Yay. Oh, and there was that one guy, the one who tries to challenge every presenter's kung-fu, yeah he was there too.

Anyway, If you have a chance pick up a copy of this month's Harper's. There are two great articles in there.
1. "The Case Impeachment" by Lewis Lapham
2. "My Crowd: Or, Phase 5: A Report from the inventor of the flash mob" by Bill Wasik.

I will post on Sanctioning Agent about the Flash Mob phenomenon and how it was co-opted.

"Over those who would sell to the hipsters, then, hangs the promise of instant
adoption but also the specter of wholesale and irrevocable desertion. "

BTW, I did get to hear "Smoke on the Water" on banjo. AWESOME!!