Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Oh, so that's how it's going down.

In his first weeks on the Supreme Court, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. sent a note to Dr. James C. Dobson, the influential Christian conservative, thanking him for his support and vowing that "as long as I serve on the Supreme Court, I will keep in mind the trust that has been placed in me," Dr. Dobson said Wednesday in a radio broadcast.
I sure-as-I-smell-theocracy hope there are some achordate Democrats on the Hill who are regretting this inaction after the confirmation hearings. And WTF?
Sending thank-you notes after judicial confirmations is relatively common, but Stephen Gillers, a law professor and ethics expert at New York University, said the note's wording was surprisingly ambiguous for a letter from a Supreme Court justice.

"It is inartful, it is clumsy, it is a poor choice of language, it is unfortunate, but I think we have to give Justice Alito the benefit of the doubt," Professor Gillers said.
I thought Alito was the best writer since Voltaire Thomas Aquinas? If he's botching thank-you notes to American imams, what's he gonna do with something rilly rilly empordunt, like whether Corporation X deserves huge tax breaks or mammoth ones? Grease up the skids to hell: the handbasket's ready.