Friday, August 25, 2006

Ambivalence

So, I'm having a reactionary problem about all this Plan B stuff. On the one hand, I'm all, ROCK ON Hilary Clinton and Patty Murray, way to get Plan B approved even for some of us - it's a good first step. On the other hand, I'm like, what the fuck is up with not approving it for women under 18? Like teens getting pregnant is just ducky? How can we leave the most vulnerable women behind?

And I can't seem to reconcile my happiness/relief and my anger/bitterness. Which, you know, is pretty much par for the course if you're a feminist these days. But still - is this something I should be celebrating or lamenting? It seems that the answer to that question is "yes," and I hate that. I hate that these victories can only be partial, and the hope that Plan B access will be extended to the under-18 set someday - when a democrat is president, or when the balance of the senate changes, or when pigs fly out my ass - just isn't enough for me right now.

Update: Oy. Check out this story. Here's betting the situation doesn't get one whit easier in the wake of the FDA's decision.