Monday, October 23, 2006

The Politics of Burlesque

My theatre company is putting on a burlesque show as a fundraiser. The show was the idea of one of our long-time company members, and she's done all the recruiting of acts, supervising of rehearsals, handling costumes and props, etc. I've been called in for the final weeks of run-throughs to give feedback and help tighten the whole thing up. I have to admit, politically, I was a bit ambivalent about the whole notion of burlesque. I mean, I'm all in favor of women taking ownership of their sexuality and enjoying themselves as sexual beings, but the trappings of burlesque - corsets, spike heels, fishnet stockings, pasties - don't exactly scream feminism, do they? So going into these rehearsals I was nervous not only about the overall quality of production, but also about the politics of the performance.

But the thing is, after seeing a few rehearsals, I just LOVE the show. Loveitloveitloveit. These are a dozen women, all different shapes and sizes, who have collaborated to write and choreograph a simply smashing performance. It's sexy - very heteronormatively sexy - true, but it's also funny, smart, sassy, and dammit, empowering. I know Twisty wouldn't approve, and I really hate to go against Twisty, but I can't help it. Something about seeing all these women relishing their bodies, loving their female lushness, flaunting their fancy trimmings - it's just glorious. My friend Sara (who came up with the idea) says that strip shows are about giving away your power, but burlesque shows are about enhancing it. Perhaps that's it. Perhaps it's largely because these are all strong, independent women, because they're doing it for charity and not for a living, because they'd never in a million years wear these outfits exclusively for a man's pleasure - all of that figures in. I don't know that I'd be OK with any and all burlesque shows, but this one ... this one is pretty groovy.