Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bob Mould & Radiohead (and Wilco ran away with the Spoon)

There’s a strange and wonderful convergence of pop culture for me today. To celebrate, I’m posting a double dose of lyrics. As I type this early on Tuesday night (like a kid waiting for his Christmas gifts -- if I go to bed now, when I wake up it will be tomorrow), I’m eagerly awaiting my download instructions for Radiohead’s new album In Rainbows. The industry is a buzz regarding Radiohead’s approach to selling the new album. It’s the 10th in the UK already – let’s get some download codes. So, that’s why I’m including Radiohead on today’s post.

Convergence Exhibit A: Bob Mould talking about the Radiohead release on his blog.
Convergence Exhibit B: Radiohead releases new album on October 10, the same day that Bob Mould will be at the Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis.
Convergence Exhibit C: Besides Bob, Wilco (at the Northrop) and Spoon (at First Ave) are in town for shows. Too much. Too much I tell you!!!

Husker Du was one of my favorite bands in high school and college. The first song I ever played on my college radio show was Husker Du’s “59 Times the Pain.” Along with Soul Asylum and The Replacements, Husker Du are a large reason Minneapolis was ever on my radar and some how beat out the Windy City as place to call home. In college (and shortly after) my other favorite bands were Uncle Tupelo/Wilco and Radiohead. Ah favorites, where would we be without lists and a spirit of hierarchy? Without Billboard and half of VH1's programming, that's where!! Perhaps that's why I find this shirt so funny.

Back to Bob at the BLB. He’s doing a solo acoustic set along with a screening of his concert DVD. The BLB holds about 100 people in its theatre (and to add to the convergence, the BLB is about 6 blocks from home). I can’t wait. OK...OK (computer?) enough babble about convergence… What’s that Jesus Christ, George Harrison, Hendrix and Col. Sanders are giving a lecture at the Walker?

So the songs/lyrics I’ve selected for today are Husker Du’s “Chartered Trips” from Zen Arcade and Radiohead’s “Karma Police” From OK Computer. "Chartered Trips," as it’s on the DVD that will be screened and it has one of my favorite post-punk, molar-shaking guitar riff openings. "Karma Police" because it’s one of my favorite songs, the piano riffs evoke elements of The Beatles’ "Sexy Sadie" and OK Computer was released ten years ago.

Chartered Trips
Performed by Husker Du
Lyrics by Bob Mould


I picked up my belongings in a nylon carry-all
I hear the porter call
Said "The sky's the limit on this chartered trip away,"
I guess I'd better stay

Out there on the desert, I see trees on every wall
Nothing's ever solved
Said "The sky's the limit on this chartered trip away,"
Guess I'd better stay away

I thought I owed myself a trip away
I wanted to go to places I have never been away
I looked at the pictures, imagine where they lay
Away on a beach by the sand, where their clothes all lay away

Horizon is oblivious, chartered trip away
Said "There's no returning from this chartered trip away

Karma Police
Performed by Radiohead
Lyrics by Thom Yorke


Karma police, arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
He's like a detuned radio

Karma police, arrest this girl
Her Hitler hairdo is
Making me feel ill
And we have crashed her party

This is what you get
This is what you get
This is what you get when you mess with us

Karma Police
I've given all I can
It's not enough
I've given all I can
But we're still on the payroll

This is what you get
This is what you get
This is what you get when you mess with us

And for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
And for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself

For for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
For for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself
Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself