Monday, March 14, 2005

Best of the Aughts

This is too good an opportunity to pass up: Rox, Shakespeare's Sister, Majikthise, and DJW are listing their noms for best/favorite movies of the "aughts." There's no WAY I'm not getting in on that action. With the usual caveat that there have been way more than 10 great movies since 2000, here are my faves of the past 5 years:

1. Lost in Translation - I know Rox will now kill me, but I can't help it. I freaking love that movie.
2. Gosford Park - I'm not normally a huge Altman fan, but that's one movie I can watch over and over. The performances are incredible, and he just nails the period. Great film to teach with.
3. Moulin Rouge - so very fabulous and over the top. Also Ewan McGregor is HOTT.
4. Lord of the Rings, Return of the King - since I only have room for one from the trilogy, this is it. A near perfect film.
5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - this is the one that started the genre, and it's still absolute poetry to watch.
6. The Royal Tenenbaums - Wes Anderson + Gene Hackman = genius.
7. Monsters, Inc. - this is my favorite of the Pixar bunch: an amazing blend of innovative animation, a great story, and beautifully rendered characters. Also my nickname when I was little was "Boo."
8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - By FAR Jim Carrey's best performance.
9. Spirited Away - the images in this movie infected my brain for months.
10. Traffic - another one I use for teaching; masterful use of episodic structure.

OK, let the quibbling begin!