Friday, June 24, 2005

Friday Poetry Blogging

It's Friday, and I'm feeling sassy. Also somewhat overwhelmed by all the stuff I have going on this weekend. But mostly sassy. My favorite sassy poet of all time is Lucille Clifton; I love how she can be completely straightforward and completely poetical at the same time. And even more than that, I love her honesty and the way she values herself, warts and all. (Something I often have a hard time with, myself.) Here's a great example:

Homage to my Hips, by Lucille Clifton
these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top