Monday, August 22, 2005

Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa (City)

As the world events tend to get me down, I like to think about more positive or fun things in my life. Well, Iowa City and Hawkeye football are a great distraction.

The Sporting News recently ranked IC as the best college football town. Well, duh?

Only eleven more days until the start of the college football season. Damn, I can't wait. I'll be sitting in the recently remodeled south end of Kinnick Stadium (the picture below is basically the same view that I'll have from my seats).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A trip to Iowa City is always a good one, but tailgating and Hawkeye football make it that much better, especially when you're there with the likes of my friend Curt. He's a dyed in the wool Hawkeye and Grade-A trash talker who is part Don Rickles and part Rainman when it comes to Iowa football. Pam (a Yale Bulldog and honorary Hawkeye) will even be sporting a new Hawkeye shirt for the opener. I've broken out the black and gold overalls (see below) for the season. Heck, even our dog Baxter has a new Hawkeye "Intimidator" towel that she wears as a cape. Ok, yes, I attach it to her collar, but I think she really likes it. As the PA announcer says prior to the drum line leading the marching band into the stadium, "get ready for the boom!"

It's a great day to be a Hawkeye.

Go Hawks!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com