Friday, October 07, 2005

Now THIS is the kind of advice column I can get behind

As the daughter of three - count 'em, three! - professional philosophers, I was raised along the principle that philosophy is as much a lifestyle as it is an academic discipline. We did syllogisms at the dinner table for fun. Like, when I was 8. That kind of family. So I'm probably biased and all, but I still think this is pretty frickin' cool: a philosophy prof at Amherst College has created AskPhilosophers.org, a site where any average Joe or Jane can ask questions and get a philosophical answer. There's a quite impressive list of panelists, and every question is reviewed, though not all are posted. So far the topics range from art, to ethics, to metaphysics and beyond - including my favorite question, which compares time to a bowl of jello with fruit in it. Awesome. Go check it out!